Fast food can be unhealthy. Try these tips to reduce carbohydrates and fat in your fast food choices:
1. Choose plain hamburgers, turkey burgers, or sandwiches; leave off the sauce, mayonnaise, cheese and bacon – try flavored mustards.
2. Order smaller portions of fried foods-fish, French fries, onion rings.
3. Broiled or poached instead of fried are much tastier and healthier.
4. Try to drink more water, diet pop, tea, coffee or lowfat milk.
5. Stay away from the high fatty breads like croissants and biscuits.
6. Eat more raw veggies and green salads less/no dressing.
7. Choose smaller portions.
8. Eat potato chips less often – once a month instead of weekly.
9. Don’t try to eliminate all fast foods, just try eating fast foods less often.
10. To reduce sugar – use less jelly, honey, and BBQ sauce.
11. Eat the baked potatoes (skin and all) – limit the toppings.
12. Eat regular or small size fries and drinks. Don’t supersize or upsize.
13. Eat more slowly.
14. Try a child-size meal. You may find that this will be enough food to fill you up.
15. Limit or avoid regular salad dressings. Try the low or no-fat versions.
16. Ask that high-fat sauces and condiments, such as salad dressing and mayonnaise, be served “on the side” and use them very sparingly.
17. Always sit down when you eat out. Don’t eat while driving. It can be too distracting. If you eat inside the restaurant, you will think more about you are eating.
o If you like sundaes with all the toppings, try a soft-serve vanilla or chocolate cone instead.
o If you like French fries, try a plain baked potato or a side salad instead.
o If you like fried or breaded chicken sandwiches, try a grilled chicken sandwich instead.
o If you like chocolate chip cookies, try the plain cookies instead.
o If you like biscuits or croissants, try an English muffin instead.
o If you like whole milk, try skim or lowfat milk instead. It may take awhile to get used to, but it is much better for you.
o If you like Taco Bells Nachos BellGrande, try Nachos Supreme. You will save more than 300 calories and 17 grams of fat.
o If you like Burger Kings Double Whopper with cheese, try a Whopper with cheese (and without the mayo). You will save more than 400 calories and 40 grams of fat.
o If you like McDonald’s Big Mac, try a Quarter Pounder instead. You will save more than 150 calories and 13 grams of fat.
o Can I have that without the cheese?
o No, I would not like to supersize (upsize) my meal?
o Can you leave the mayo, tartar sauce, or other high-fat condiment off?
o May I have glass of water?
o No, I don’t want croutons with my salad.